Maurice by E .M. Forster
This book was ahead of its time (in fact E. M. Forster thought he wouldn’t see the book published in his lifetime). Forster wrote a compelling novel about the inner turmoils of finding yourself. He wrestles with the issues of homosexuality within the early 20th century, for those that do not know it was illegal to be gay during this time.
This book follows the story of Maurice, a romantic man that craves acceptance and someone to love. We see him passionately explore his sexuality and then we see how he comes to loath himself, before truly accepting who he is and finding a solution that allows him to feel free.
A wonderful story that both warmed my heart and filled it with sadness as I thought about how horrible it must be to hide who you truly are for fear of retribution. Compelling and enlightening, thank you Mr. Forster.
If you are struggling with discovering who you are here are a few links that may help.
Let me know what you thought of the book in the comments below!
Also you can check out my 20 Books for 2020 and good reads to keep up to date with what I am reading next: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/108913955-graceless-living
Until next time.
20 books for 2020
- Philip Pullman – The Subtle Knife
- Patrick Ness – A Monster Calls
- Barney Norris – Five Rivers Met on a Wooded Plain
- Shirley Jackson – Life Among the Savages
- Madeline Miller – Circe
- Jenni Murray – A history of Britain in 21 Women
- Chris Kraus – I Love Dick
- Carrie Hope Fletcher – All that she can see
- Kathrine Arden – The Bear and the Nightingale
- William Golding -The Lord of the Flies
- E. M. Forster – Maurice
- Philip Pullman – The Amber Spyglass
- Alice Walker – The Colour Purple
- Zadie Smith – On Beauty
- Jennifer Worth – In the Midst of Life
- Tim Winton – The Turning
- Margaret Atwood – The Handmaid’s Tale
- Erin Morgenstern – The Night Circus
- Matt Haig – How to Stop Time
- Brandon Sanderson – Skyward
Follow me on Social Media
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/GracelessLiving
instagram – https://www.instagram.com/gracelessliving/