I’ve been on and off of Slimming World for about 5 years now and in that time, I have cooked some cracking meals. However, there is one thing that I have missed during my time on Slimming World and that is a good old-fashioned takeaway, or rather I think I have missed the feeling I get when I have a takeaway.
What I love about a takeaway is that it has the ability to change a night, let me explain. Imagine you have had a very long week and have managed to crawl your way to Friday, everything that could have gone wrong has, you get through the door and your partner asks the magic question, “Would you like a takeaway?” A moment of utter bliss descends upon you, you begin to plan your night, you pick out a film and wait an hour for your takeaway, takeaway arrives, and suddenly all of the stress of the week melts away, leaving you with a warm feeling and a food baby. No, just me?
As you can imagine, I didn’t want to give that up and with Slimming World I haven’t. I try at least once a week, to recreate that blissful takeaway feeling with a fakeaway. It’s taken a bit of time, but I have collected my top 3 fakeaway recipes from Slimming World.
(Takeaway) Crispy Duck Pancakes – (Fakeaway) Shredded Duck and Hoisin Sauce
- 3 skinless duck breasts
- 4 level tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns, coarsely ground
- 1 tsp ground star anise
- 6 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 tbsp of hoisin sauce
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely shredded
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded and cut into strips
- gem lettuce leaves
- side salad of your choice
- Mix together the five-spice powder, peppercorns, star anise, soy sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. Pour this mixture over the duck, cover and marinate for 8 hours, or overnight if time permits.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Roast the duck for 30-40 mins
- Meanwhile prepare your cucumber, spring onions and side salad
- Remove the duck from the oven and shred with 2 forks.
- Serve in gem lettuce leaves with a drizzle of hoisin sauce.
(Takeaway) Big Mac – (Fakeaway) Cheese Burger in a Bowl
- 500g of mince
- diced white onion
- beef oxo cube
- Worcester sauce
- Shredded lettuce
- cherry tomatoes
- red onion
- burger sauce
- Spray a frying pan with low calorie spray and soften the onions on a medium heat. Once softened add the mince and brown.
- Whilst the mince is browning prepare your salad.
- When the mince is brown add an oxo cube and some Worcester sauce. Cook for a few more minutes and add to your salad.
- Serve with Burger sauce and grated cheese.
(Takeaway) Pad Thai or any Wagamama’s dish – (Fakeaway) Beef Pho
It’s an oldie but a goodie, I have been doing this recipe since I started Slimming World all those years ago and I would still say that it is in my top 5 recipes!