Pancake day is a favourite in this household, and there was a sigh of disappointment from Jon when he thought he would need to have protein pancakes or banana pancakes this Pancake day. This got me thinking, how can I make pancake day more interesting and Slimming World friendly. I began making a list of what I found important in a pancake (I’m being serious, I literally sat on my sofa and thought about what I enjoyed most about a pancake, I may have been hungry at the time…) I decided that I wanted taste to be the most important factor, I didn’t really mind how the pancakes came, what shape or size, if they fluffy or crepe, I just wanted to feel like I was eating a pancake and enjoying it. Now, I did have one restriction that was unavoidable, the pancake couldn’t be too many calories (or syns). I scoured the internet and my recipe books and found these 3 gems.
Unsurprisingly Pinch of Nom is heavily featured in this post because I am 100% certain that they come up with the best Slimming World friendly desserts, which is were I stumbled across this.
Strawberry and White Chocolate Pancake Tray Bake (55 Calories / 3 syns per portion)
- 200 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sweetener
- 250 ml semi skimmed milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 150 g strawberries sliced
- 20 g white chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp icing sugar to dust
- Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC fan.
- Spray the baking tray with a little low calorie cooking spray to grease it and then line with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a medium bowl. Stir in the sweetener.
- Mix together the milk and the egg, and stir into the flour mixture a little at a time until smooth. Beat for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Fold in the strawberries and pour into the prepared tray. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Turn out and remove the greaseproof paper.
- Dust with icing sugar and cut into 20 squares.
I added 2 tbsp of the PBfit peanut butter powder and this did add 1 syn but it was delicious and totally worth it.
I found my next recipe in the new Pinch of Nom cook book (link here)
American Lotus Biscoff Pancakes (307 cal or 5 syns)
- 40g of instant oats
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp of Lotus Biscoff Spread
- 1 tsp of caramel topping
- 100ml of semi skimmed milk
- 1 tsp of caramel sauce
- Whisk together the oats, milk and eggs until combined, add 1 tbsp of the spread and mix again, leave to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Spray a non stick frying pan with low calorie spray and place over a medium heat. Add 2 tbsp of the mixture to the pan and cook for 2 mins per side.
- Serve with caramel sauce or topping of your choice.
Finally I went with a one of Jon’s favourites lemon and sugar Crepes, this recipe I have known from childhood and with a few extra tweaks I was able to make it Slimming World friendly. What I love about these pancakes is that they are a blank slate and you could have anything on them.
Lemon and Sweetener Crepes (60 calories or 3 syns per portion)
- 2 eggs
- 100g Plain flour
- 300 ml of Semi Skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- pinch of salt
- juice of a lemon
- Combine the eggs, flour, oil and milk in a large bowl, add a pinch of salt and whisk until it becomes a smooth batter.
- Set aside for 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven on a low temperature
- Spray a large frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and add in a layer of the batter covering the entire pan.
- Cook on a medium heat for 2 minutes, flip and repeat.
- Once cooked set aside in the oven to keep warm.
- Serve with the juice of a lemon and a sprinkling of sweetener.
How was your pancake day? Which do you prefer, let us know in the comments below!
Until next time.
Avocado Bowl For those relaxed Sunday mornings where I can take my time I love to make this avocado bowl, it is light and fresh, full of vegetables and is 3.5 syns per portion. Ingredients 2 bacon medallions Low-calorie cooking spray 200g of button mushrooms, halved or chopped 100g baby spinach 8 cherry tomatoes 2 … More My Favourite Weekend Slimming World Breakfasts
International Women’s Day is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity. Significant activity is witnessed worldwide as groups come together to celebrate women’s achievements or rally for women’s equality. – http://www.internationalwomensday.com International women’s day is marked to celebrate … More International Women’s Day 2021
I know that for many of us this World Book Day will be different, some of us will still be in school teaching whilst others will be distance learning. However, World Book Day will still go on and it is something that can still be enjoyed and what better time to enjoy it! This year … More Is there Room on the Broom this World Book Day?
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/GracelessLiving