Pancake day is a favourite in this household, and there was a sigh of disappointment from Jon when he thought he would need to have protein pancakes or banana pancakes this Pancake day. This got me thinking, how can I make pancake day more interesting and Slimming World friendly. I began making a list of what I found important in a pancake (I’m being serious, I literally sat on my sofa and thought about what I enjoyed most about a pancake, I may have been hungry at the time…) I decided that I wanted taste to be the most important factor, I didn’t really mind how the pancakes came, what shape or size, if they fluffy or crepe, I just wanted to feel like I was eating a pancake and enjoying it. Now, I did have one restriction that was unavoidable, the pancake couldn’t be too many calories (or syns). I scoured the internet and my recipe books and found these 3 gems.
Unsurprisingly Pinch of Nom is heavily featured in this post because I am 100% certain that they come up with the best Slimming World friendly desserts, which is were I stumbled across this.
Strawberry and White Chocolate Pancake Tray Bake (55 Calories / 3 syns per portion)
- 200 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sweetener
- 250 ml semi skimmed milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 150 g strawberries sliced
- 20 g white chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp icing sugar to dust
- Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC fan.
- Spray the baking tray with a little low calorie cooking spray to grease it and then line with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a medium bowl. Stir in the sweetener.
- Mix together the milk and the egg, and stir into the flour mixture a little at a time until smooth. Beat for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Fold in the strawberries and pour into the prepared tray. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Turn out and remove the greaseproof paper.
- Dust with icing sugar and cut into 20 squares.
I added 2 tbsp of the PBfit peanut butter powder and this did add 1 syn but it was delicious and totally worth it.
I found my next recipe in the new Pinch of Nom cook book (link here)
American Lotus Biscoff Pancakes (307 cal or 5 syns)
- 40g of instant oats
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp of Lotus Biscoff Spread
- 1 tsp of caramel topping
- 100ml of semi skimmed milk
- 1 tsp of caramel sauce
- Whisk together the oats, milk and eggs until combined, add 1 tbsp of the spread and mix again, leave to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Spray a non stick frying pan with low calorie spray and place over a medium heat. Add 2 tbsp of the mixture to the pan and cook for 2 mins per side.
- Serve with caramel sauce or topping of your choice.
Finally I went with a one of Jon’s favourites lemon and sugar Crepes, this recipe I have known from childhood and with a few extra tweaks I was able to make it Slimming World friendly. What I love about these pancakes is that they are a blank slate and you could have anything on them.
Lemon and Sweetener Crepes (60 calories or 3 syns per portion)
- 2 eggs
- 100g Plain flour
- 300 ml of Semi Skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- pinch of salt
- juice of a lemon
- Combine the eggs, flour, oil and milk in a large bowl, add a pinch of salt and whisk until it becomes a smooth batter.
- Set aside for 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven on a low temperature
- Spray a large frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and add in a layer of the batter covering the entire pan.
- Cook on a medium heat for 2 minutes, flip and repeat.
- Once cooked set aside in the oven to keep warm.
- Serve with the juice of a lemon and a sprinkling of sweetener.
How was your pancake day? Which do you prefer, let us know in the comments below!
Until next time.
I know that the last two years has taken it out of most of us and we all could do with a stiff drink and some good news. So, I raised my glass this new year and thought of the people who didn’t make it and how shit 2021 truly has been, all in all … More Grabbing a Metaphorical Bull (My New Year’s Resolutions)
Avocado Bowl For those relaxed Sunday mornings where I can take my time I love to make this avocado bowl, it is light and fresh, full of vegetables and is 3.5 syns per portion. Ingredients 2 bacon medallions Low-calorie cooking spray 200g of button mushrooms, halved or chopped 100g baby spinach 8 cherry tomatoes 2 … More My Favourite Weekend Slimming World Breakfasts
International Women’s Day is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity. Significant activity is witnessed worldwide as groups come together to celebrate women’s achievements or rally for women’s equality. – http://www.internationalwomensday.com International women’s day is marked to celebrate … More International Women’s Day 2021
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/GracelessLiving